Monday 26 November 2012

Battle Cry 2012 - AAR


Hey Guys,

I know that we have received plenty of pats on the back with regard to our recent tournament on Sunday, but what about some constructive criticism.  I'm essentially looking on feedback on the following 3 topics:

1.  Winter Tables - any glaring concerns from those who actually fought on one of the two tables?  As you know we came up with our own modified movement distances and then threw in a couple of rules from " Devils Charge".....

2.  Night Fight - In hindsight I probably lost my 2nd game because of this (fortunes of war) and I know that this was a surprise too many.......any concerns??

 
3.  Player ratings - this is the first time we used player ratings in the software and I personally think it worked out for the best, particularly in the first round of play.  However, a valid comment was raised to me about the criteria that was used to rate each player.  For this tournament it was relatively subjective.  Those rated as expert were those that have been rated nationally in the top 10.  Experienced were those folks that have been playing for some time and have tournament experience.  Average were those that have played off and on and may have had limited to no tournament experience. Inexperienced were those relative beginners that have recently learned the game and have had essentially no tournament experience.  It was suggested, and I certainly see the point, that if we are going to use the player ratings we should perhaps have a firmer definition.....thoughts???  The spectrum of player experience was spread out from at least two guys who had not yet even played v3 to the top of the list where there were 4 that are rated in the top 10 national listing.  If this is worth pursing I'd like to amend our tournament pack to include something on the issue.

Cheers.

Bob

2 comments:

  1. I don't have any complaints about the above three issues (never played on a snow table). Just be up front about what your doing, especially regarding issue 3, and I think that is fine.

    Thanks;
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1: Winter tables: Didn’t play on them, however if it was very basic like was used at nationals, IE: Tank movement is limited to 8 inches, no doubletime, then I am OK with it. I am very averse to changing any actual rule for a tournament, so without seeing hat tweaks you guys made, I can’t really say.

    2: Night Fight: Again, I realize Night fight is an actual rule, but it killed Gary in our game. He would have won the game without night fight. Couple that with the mission roll that lead to a lengthwise attack.. simply brutal. I am still OK with this, provided we knew about it ahead of time, IE, it was in the player package that there was a chance that one mission has Dawn Rules, and here are those rules. I still don’t agree with it being coupled with a random mission roll, if anything, it would have been more appropriate to have the Free for All mission have the night attack.

    3: The rankings thing. Unfortunately, with only 3 games per tournament, I don’t see how this works out. I am by no means a good player, who knows the rules etc etc, but I am ranked highly because I play in many tournaments and painting score boosts me haha. The other side effect is that it made it so my first game was against Tristan, who I play every week. I would have rathered play someone I have never met, not drive up and play someone I play all the time! But then again, if Drew were there, I guarantee I would have played him first too hah. I don’t know. I see what you guys were doing, I just don’t know if it works with just 3 games.. For example, lets say the top 2 ranked folks did not play each other, and it was random. Then, only if they both do well, do they play one another, at the “top table” for first overall. It also gives the lower players a chance to be a giant-killer if they defeat them first round.. We experimented with this very thing when we did our tournaments when Tris and I worked for Games Workshop, and we always came back to Random first round, then by ranking. Otherwise, every tournament, the same 4 people were ALWAYS playing one another in the first round. You could Metagame it, lets say I know I am going to face Drew or Tristan or Mike A.. and I know through intel (Friday Night Fights, Game Summit forum) what they are fielding, I could tweak my list to play them, knowing after that, I have already played my toughest opponent.

    In any case, I feel so long as there are no surprises, any of these could remain. It just sucks though when someone loses a game purely because of it.. like Gary’s blind howitzer observer, who did not roll more than 8 inches of vision all game.

    Anyways, as always I love discussing this stuff, but I better get back to work hah!


    Dennis

    ReplyDelete